Part of King Henry VIII’s long–lost Sandown Castle has been rediscovered hiding in plain sight.
Stones from the 16th–century fort were reused to build part of Dover Castle, about nine miles (14.5km) down the coast, according to a new study.
Archaeologists discovered a previously unknown report from 1883, stating that materials from Sandown were being sold off and sent to Dover.
Those stone chunks from Henry VIII’s maritime defences now form part of the Constable’s Gate at Dover, which provided quarters for the castle’s commanding officer.
After Sandown Castle fell victim to coastal erosion in the 1800s, its valuable stones were sold off to
To provide well-rounded coverage and a breadth of insight across various events, we rely on contributions from several staff writers, each bringing their own area of expertise to our publication.
